Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Why everything is better when the weather sucks

So, this morning I went running and it was raining a lot.
...and I'm not talking about just a regular raining. I'm talking about the Great Flood 100% original from the bible...
Anyway, this apocalyptic weather gave me the idea for this post.
Long story short: whatever I'm doing out there, everything is better when the weather sucks.
Read this:
"This morning I ran 10 miles..."
Pretty lame right?
...now read this:
"This morning I ran 10 miles in a snow storm chased by hungry Siberian wolves..."
Can you see the difference? Pretty awesome right? Yes! And why? Because of the weather (and the wolves too, ok...).
When is raining or snowing, or too cold to freeze my face or hot as hell, I love to go out there and do something.
Why? Because everything is more epic when the weather is terrible.
My best climbing memories are related to some extreme weather conditions, as well as my best runs.
For example, the best 50 km I've run so far was a couple of months ago when I was fighting against the wind trying to stay on my feet and keep running...
Or for example I love running when there's a tornado alert: if I have the chance, I'm going out to run. I love the smell of a coming storm, feel the wind and see this wall of clouds coming towards me. It's like I'm challenging the nature.
And the same thing with climbing.
I remember when I was climbing, many years ago, at Tre frati in Finale (Italy) and suddenly it started to snow: it was so epic! The forest was so quite, and everything was so perfect... Or another time, I was bouldering alone in a cave called Grotta delle fate in Val d'Inferno (Italy), when a summer lighting-storm hit me: I was fine and relatively safe and I kept climbing, and it was so magic and epic!!

So, I don't know why I have this thing, but that's why I want to run the Marathon des sables and the Bad water ultra...
I have this suicidal instinct to challenge the nature.
But the reality is that I'm just stupid.


I was talking about wind and storms. Immortal did it for me:


No comments:

Post a Comment