Monday, February 17, 2014

The great dilemma...

Right now there are 7,117 songs waiting for me in my computer.
21,1 days of music.
I have something like 6,000 CDs, 1,000 LPs and a ton of MCs at home.
But still, every three months I don't know what to listen.
I've started really young to listen to music, and I need to thanks my parents for that.
My first album was Iron Maiden, from the band Iron Maiden. I was 6 years old.
I didn't have any idea of what "heavy metal" was: I remember I saw Eddie' face on the Maiden' LP at the record store and it was love at first sight.
Then I went home: I put (my mum actually did it) the record on and "Prowler" was on the air.
Booom! From that moment I knew that that was the shit!
For years, Iron Maiden was the only music for me.
Then I grew up, and I discovered thrash with Metallica and Megadeth... Then death metal, black metal... Basically, everything with the word "metal" in it.
But it wasn't enough, and I started to go in other field: electronic, classic, jazz...
Long story short, right now I'm listening basically any kind of music.
But I mean real music, not shitty-hit-MTV-pop things. Real music made by real musician with the purpose of making music and not money.
I mean, Rihanna (the first name that I have in mind now): is that music? Come on...
Anyway...
However, even though I can listening basically everything I want, every three months, the big dilemma arrives, and the question is "What I'm going to listen today?" and the answer is "I don't have anything that I like...".
Since I need music to be functional (meaning to be able to ignore everything is bothering me from the outside world of everyday), the presence of music during my day is pretty vital.
And when these periods arrive I'm pretty down. Off course there is a background of bands that I'm constant listening to, like Isis, Neurosis, Mike Patton and a couple of others, but sometimes I need something else.
And if I cannot find something I get mad, and the research starts: I spend days listening to very weird stuff, sometimes very far away from the normal definition of "music"...
...and the research keeps going on and on for weeks, until I find something that I really like and in that moment I -finally!- reach the peace.
So, now I'm in one of these "research periods": I don't know what to listen...
Very frustrating.*


Here, Larry and his flask. Great band, buy their albums, they really deserve it!!
(...and watch them live: they kick ass! I've actually shared a Shiner with the up-right bass player!)











*I know, people outside are dying because of starvation or wars or diseases, but don't bother me, this one is a lightweight post...


No comments:

Post a Comment