Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A romantic tale about death metal.

This is a lovely story about death metal.
Why?
Because this Friday I'm going to see live Gorguts and Carcass, and a lot of good memories are coming back, that's why.
Carcass and Gorguts are heroes of a younger version me. And I still love them.
When I was young, death metal was the law.
Obituary, Deicide, Grave, Gorguts, Napalm Death, Sinister, Amorphis, Cannibal Corpse, Entombed, Samael, Autopsy, Gorefest, Dismember, Brutal Truth, Electrocution, Benediction, Death, Master, Suffocation, Tiamat, Brutality, Mortification, Carcass, Cancer, Sadist, Pungent Stench, Immolation, Master, Hypocrisy, and other thousands of death metal bands were my daily doses of extreme. I was living, breathing, eating and sleeping death metal.
Now I'm an old fuck, and I'm listening (often) a lot of different things, but death metal is always there.
I need to specify: old school death metal (honestly, I don't even know a new name...).
As I said, a lot of good ol' memories...
In those days (yes, i'm talking like a grandpa, but I don't care, go fuck yourself) finding the new band or just a simple information about some album form somewhere in the world, was a real challenge. You had to study, you had to search. You had to buy magazines (Metal Shock, H/M and Flash were the bibles) and read them, just to find maybe only a single sentence about what you were looking for. Now you just google it. Meh...
...and finally, after weeks of research you had the name: but the challenge wasn't done yet. You had to go to the record store, and order the album, and after that just wait.
Wait for a long time.
Maybe two weeks, if you were lucky. Often one month. Sometimes more than one month. And -sadly- sometimes it was impossible to get the album...
I was saving money for weeks, just to have enough cash to buy the vinyl (or the cassette... Yeah, in those days the CD -if available!- was too expensive).
But in the end, after all the waiting, the album was there. Oh, the joy!!
I still remember the feeling of the vinyl in my hand: holding this big and heavy square, with the big cover, so big that you could get lost in every single detail. ...and the booklet inside, with the lyrics. And the smell... Oh, the smell of those vinyl! It will never be replaced by a CD or a fucking mp3.
...and I love vinyl from Nuclear Blast: often they were colored vinyls, and every album had a different color.
Speaking of Nuclear Blast. Nuclear Blast was the new real deal in those days, and they were rocking! All the best band from Europe (but wait! There was also Nuclear Blast America! Fuck yeah, double win!) were in the NB rooster. But for them it wasn't enough and they started with this big compilations called "Death ....It's just the beginning"... The best things ever!!
I also loved (and I still do: I love it so much that I've bought the CD even though I have the LP) another compilation, called "5 years Nuclear Blast Compilation". I love it not because of the bands on the album (ok, not only because of the bands), but because I have good memories connected with it.
But I have good memories with so many other death metal albums and bands...
For instance, how I could forget Obituary? Or Samael? Or Dismember? Or Gorefest?
Name it: on every single death metal album or song I have a special memory...
The bottom line is: who cares if for you, poor ignorant Lady Gaga-sucker, death metal it's just stupid chaos and scream and noise. I have more good memories with one single album of Gorefest than you with you're entire empty and pathetic life. So, go home and listen to Rihanna while you're killing yourself, we're busy with Dismember here...

...and now, enjoy the majesty and the poetry of death metal.






(by the way: I choose to play bass, because of THIS song.)


No comments:

Post a Comment