Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Faith No More & Napalm Death: the show of the century live report.

Ok, first of all, let me start with a statement: yesterday this bag of bones was tired from the last run and I wasn't in the mood in general because of all those fuckheads in my everyday life.
...and with this very positive attitude, I dragged my self to see FnM.
I didn't know who was supposed to open for them. Somewhere I had read "Dinosaur Jr." and I thought they were the opening band. Again: I really didn't care, I was so close to gave up and stay home in my ball of hate.
Anyway, I paid for the ticket and I was there already, so I made an effort to stay. I gave a quick look at the merchandise point and I saw that they were selling Napalm Death t-shirt. My thought was "Why the fuck they are selling Napalm death stuff?" followed by "...oh, maybe because Bill Gould often wears Napalm' t-shirt and he played in Brujeria with some of them, and blah blah blah....", but still it didn't make too much sense.
...but as I said, I was not in the mood even for listen to my own crap.
So, I'm there, waiting for the show, and at 8:00 pm sharp four shady musician started their show.
After ten seconds of music (noise, for most of the people there, but I'll talk about that later) I realized "Fuck, those are the only and true and original and genuine Napalm Death!!" and I ran under the stage, and I enjoyed every single seconds of pure old fashion kick ass grind core. I made my ear bleed, and my heart happy and I sang (kind of) almost all the songs they played. For once, I was 16 years old again.
Total respect for these guys: they have invented a new way to play extreme music something like 25 years ago. Barney (the singer if you don't know them) he's still hard core in his soul, and he still believes in his music (again, noise, as he called it as well), and between the songs he gave us his own point of view about what's wrong in this society (I need to check if he wrote a book because it should be interesting). Poor guy, when he tried to criticize church in Texas: basically everyone gave him the classic cold-stare-you-don-'t-fuck-with-my-god (seriously texans, whats wrong with you? Wake up: god doesn't exist).
They played a nice mix of new and old song, including the "Scum" and the classic Dead Kennedys' cover "Nazi punk fuck off", and after 30 minutes of lovely violence, they left the stage.
I was looking around me right after they finished the show: most of the people was confused and they didn't believe in what they'd just saw. Someone was lost, someone disgusted. Only few were happy and I was one of them.
...and then it hit me! Why Patton and co. would take Napalm Death touring with them? Because they know how to piss of people, and they love it, and apparently they succeeded!!

Anyway, after 30 minutes, it's FnM time. There is not too much to say. I love them, and I'm probably too bias. The thing is: they are perfect. They are professional, they are in the business for a long time, they are incredible musicians, so everything went as it was supposed to go. They played songs from every album, and you can find on-line the set list so I don't even bother to write it down. I just want to mention the highest -for me- moment, when they played "Midlife crisis", completely changed in the central part...
I have only one complain: the show was too short! Only one tiny hour, and honestly, they could have played for another -at least- 30 minutes.

Anyhow, this one was probably the concert of the century.



...and now some general complaining because I'm old and old people complain a lot:

1. Why do people go to concert when they don't have absolutely any idea of who's playing?
2. I hate those fuckers spending the whole show with their phone in the air taking pictures and videos: you're there asshole, enjoy the moment!
3. A Napalm Death concert without mosh pit is like an ocean without waves: it shouldn't exist in nature. Just sayin'...
4. If you go to a metal concert with flip-flop it's all your fault if someone stomp on your feet.
5. Why there is always someone dressed in a completely un-appropriate way? Are they doing it in purpose? If yes, why?

A lot of words this time: I don't really have time to check for typos, so...






No comments:

Post a Comment